HAPPINESS might be difficult to be achieved but NOT IMPOSSIBLE. Remember that just a flashing smile may change your reality!
There are many theories and definitions of “happiness” but most of them agree on few main ingredients:
- Self-confidence despite our imperfection;
- Feeling of safety related to sane relationships and good environment around;
- Sense of satiation referred to be well-off;
- Sense of perspective and purpose;
- Peace of mind hence internal quietude;
All these components might be represented into “Flourishing”, a recent phenomenon studied by positive psychology that is going beyond simple happiness or well-being.
According to Flourishing’s founding father, Dr. Martin Seligman, it is “the result of paying careful attention to building and maintaining the five aspects of the PERMA model”.
But what “PARMA” means?
- Positivity understood as positive emotions.
- Engagement with the world, your work, life overall.
- Meaningful Relationships, avoiding insane people around.
- Meaning and purpose in life.
So basically, “to flourish is to find fulfillment in our lives, accomplishing meaningful and worthwhile tasks, and connecting with others at a deeper level—in essence, living the “good life”” (Seligman, 2011).
This seems not to be an easy mission but just note that the commitment is with yourself, the most important person of your life, so it is in your hands to change your way of thinking.
We will continue giving you some tips for practicing PARMA in upcoming posts.